Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Home again, home again, jiggiety jig

We returned in the wee hours of Sunday morning to the house in which we now live. I am trying to convince myself to call it home, but I'm just not there yet. There are boxes everywhere you look and I can't find anything! We have still not found our coffee maker and anyone who knows the commander knows what a terrible tragedy this is! I have learned I have a "two-butt kitchen" and since I have one and a half myself, this doesn't leave much room for anyone else. My oldest child, we'll call him Viking, and I became wedged between the fridge and the island. It took the whole rest of the family and half a tub of crisco to free us. I think I'm still leaving a trail like a slug everywhere I go. We have a gorgeous gas fireplace in our family room and I can't wait to use it this fall. Of course, we have no idea how to turn it on and can't seem to get a hold of anyone who can tell us how. We also have a phenomenal pool in the neighborhood. From this side of the fence it looks like amazing fun. Of course, we have to look at it from this side of the fence as the pool key seems to be lost with the instructions on how to start the fire! We do love our new house, though. It's especially nice since the kids haven't had time to destroy it yet.

This move came straight out of the blue. In the past, we've had moves that were all about us, but this one?... this one's all on God! This is not the route I had expected us to take this summer. The gentle plains of Wyoming with it's sagebrush, non-stop winds, and winter snowstorms is where I thought I'd be living by now. How in the world did I end up in North Carolina??

How many times in life do we set our eyes on a goal or a destiny that we know God has for us? I am learning it's so easy sometimes to be so fixated on the destination I forget to keep my eyes on the Leader. I still believe we will end up back in Wyoming, I just never expected God to go east to get there! So, my goal has changed. My goal is no longer to make it to Wyoming (don't pass out commander). My goal, now, is to keep my eyes on Christ fully, firmly and completely, not briefly and distractedly as I gaze westward. That's a recipe for trouble, that's how you run into a ditch, or a barbed wire fence depending on whose land you're wandering.

As of now, we are all doing ok, not great yet, but ok, and I have learned to live with that. Life will be great again, my house will be organized again, my kids and I will have friends again and life will get back to normal, a new normal, but normal all the same. In the meantime, I'll be the one brewing coffee over the small fire in the back yard. Maybe someone could point out the closest Starbucks???? please?!

1 comment:

  1. First comment!!!!! Called it.

    and

    Hahahahahahaha

    and

    You'll get your house organized?

    Bwahahahahahahaha

    You have five boys, who are you kidding.

    Loved it. Love you. xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete