Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Yappy Cotton Balls and Great Big Sucking Machines






Hey everybody!  Guess where I am!!

How many of you shook your head and said "Starbucks"?  Be honest!  Well, as usual, you would be right.  Once again I have come to the mountain of the caffeine gods to spill the inane ramblings I am forced to endure inside my own brain.  I figure, if I have to put up with them, then so do you.

Actually, this is the first time in a couple of days since I have found myself nestled into my familiar chair at my usual table in, what everyone should recognize, is my office.  I simply allow all these other people access.  Now, it is true that I was here yesterday, but there was no where to sit so I took my coffee and retreated to the sanctity of my home office. While just as familiar, I find I am not near as productive.

I did managed to accomplish something at home that I couldn't do here in my mobile office; I cleaned the living room and vacuumed it.  My long time readers know of the small, furry child I share my home with.  She has a tendency to make a bit of a mess.  So I cleaned up all the rawhide bones, all the small squeaky toys and other canine paraphernalia and found a rug underneath.  Who knew?! What I also found most entertaining was Bella's reaction to the vacuum cleaner.  It seems in dog world anything that makes that much noise and sucks stuff up can only be terribly dangerous and as such, must be viciously attacked at every opportunity.  Really, when you think of it from her point of view, it is much, much larger than her, it does make an awful lot of noise, and it does make a lot of stuff she considers her to disappear.  I tried to make her understand there was no reason to keep the scraps of paper, pine cones and bits of pop tart wrapper that she had collected, but she failed to see the validity of my arguments.     It was pretty disturbing to her, as you can see by the video that I have, hopefully, successfully attached to the top of this post.

Once again, dear reader, my brain went sideways with this whole incident.  I had to think, how many times have I been just like my four-footed cotton ball?  How many times have I taken one look at something the Lord has brought into my life to clean it up and set it right, and attacked?  I know there have been times when he has brought his spiritual vacuum into my heart and life to suck up all the random, unnecessary things I have picked up on my way through life and I have fought him tooth and nail.  I just can't seem to make him understand how much I need that little bit of judgement, or the entertainment that moment of gossip brings me or just how good it feels to indulge in just a tiny amount of bitterness, or, my favorite, attend that pity party that I spent all that money on having catered and everything!

The whole time, he is only doing what is best for me.  I couldn't leave that mess on the floor.  It, actually, was dangerous for Bella to be chewing on the random bits of refuse dropped by my kids as they scampered around the house. (ok, I admit, the little one is really the only one who scampers, the teenagers really slump more, or even stomp, occasionally there is breezing in and out involved, but really, no scampering)  I vacuumed up things that were choking hazards and some that could have made her sick.  I tried to explain it to her, but since I don't speak dog, all she heard was "blah, blah, toy, blah, blah, outside, blah, blah, bad dog, blah, blah".  You get the picture.  I'm sure she wishes I would study harder to learn her language!  Meanwhile, I'm just wishing she would learn to hit the pee pad!

The Lord is guilty of doing no less.  How many times have we prayed to be closer to him, to be more aware of his presence, to walk/live in communion with him?  I cannot number the prayers I have prayed for him to make me the person he already sees me to be.  Then, when he comes and, with him, his light, things are exposed that once happily hid in the darkness.  I have to tell you, my living room floor looked pretty darn good with the lights out.  It was only when the morning came and the light streamed, in that I could see what needed to be cleaned out.  So it is with the Holy Spirit.  He comes, he brings his light, and, BINGO!  It's time to vacuum!

My challenge to you this week, faithful readers, is to not emulate my favorite wet-nosed girlfriend. (no, I'm not talking about you, M, I'm referring to the dog!)  When the Lord comes to help us clear away the safety hazards in our life, let's not attack the tool he uses.  It wasn't the vacuum's fault, it was the operator!  It's not the fault of the tool the Lord uses, be it a situation, or a person.  The Lord is using it to help us see ourselves as he already sees us; pure, holy, without spot, blemish, or pop tart wrapper. 

So relax, chill, hop up on the couch and let him work, or you may find yourself shut up in your kennel just like Bella did, without so much as a squeaky toy to keep you company!

Meanwhile, I'll be here, working on my second language and cleaning up after a very ungrateful puppy.  It's a good thing she's cuter than most of my kids or she would have been made into a purse by now, well, that I can lock her up in her kennel.  People get a little ticky if you do that with one of your kids.  Don't ask how I know that, just trust me!  Till next time, I'll continue to be....

Soaked in His blessings,

Spokenfor

No comments:

Post a Comment