Monday, April 29, 2013

Carb Loading Canines and the People Who Love Them

It's a rainy Monday as I sit here in my office (my local Starbucks, don't judge! lol). I find I need the caffeine to jump start my day today.  Of course, the accompanying piece of cinnamon coffee cake only turbo charges the affect of the latte'.  I'm sure it's been scientifically proven, somewhere.

Anyway, It's been a busy week and I find I am still trying to get everything back to normal after my week away in the mountains.  There are still clothes to be put away and floors to be cleaned.  It seems time just slips away so quickly these days.  I'm sure you Moms out there know what I'm talking about.  I have had some time to reflect on what I learned and what I went through during my timely escape.  I have some fond memories.  One such memory surrounds a small dog that became a fast friend.

A little rescue dog of questionable lineage, I found a soul sister in this small black and white four footed scoundrel.  Interestingly enough, her name was Bella, which some of you know, is the name of my little doggie cotton ball.  It seems that mountain Bella has a remarkable addiction to all things bread.

I had a lovely room, a suite really.  My bedroom had a glass door the led out onto a private deck that over looked the valley below.  It was a beautiful place where I spent every lunch time, even in the rain.  I was on the main floor so it was possible to go from my little deck around to the front porch. That was the route the little thief took.

  After packing up my things on that last day, I left them in my room, stacked by the back door, and went for a final get together in the commons area, where we had prayer and communion.   As I left the room, I realized that I had left the screen door open going out onto the deck.  I didn't want my room to fill up with bugs, even if I was about to leave, so I went back and shut it.  I had no idea it would not be any protection to a much larger "bug".  

Imagine my surprise, when I returned to my room a hour or so later to find the screen door open.  What?! I know I closed that door!  It seems that my favorite little four legged friend had smelled the loaf of bread I had left laying on the top of my bag of groceries to go home with me and had been unable to resist.  I saw the empty plastic bag laying forlornly in the rain on the sidewalk below my deck.  You must remember the suspect in question is only about 18 inches tall and, while now somewhat heavier due to carb loading, is not really a very big canine.  Despite that fact, Bella had consumed an entire loaf of bread all by herself.  So great had been her drive to procure the luscious starchy goodness she had managed to nose the screen door open to gain access to her prize.  I am just thankful that she ran with her loot outside and did not make a mess on the floor in my room!  Of course, not a crumb escaped her adorable little snout so I doubt there would have been much of a mess anyway!  I had to tip my proverbial hat to my favorite little sneaky Houdini of the dog world. She would let nothing stand in her way.

Those of you who are frequent visitors to the insanity of my mind know that I cannot leave it at that.  There is a parallel, of course, that jumps out to my.......uhhh... different sort of brain.     Be patient with me, I'm going somewhere.  I find that I immediately think of one verse,

John 6:35Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.

See? Did you see that?  Jesus calls himself the bread of life.  We are told in the book of John, many times, that he is the bread of life and whomever eats of him shall never be hungry, in fact, shall never die.  The question I have for you today, my dear readers, is how desperate are you for this bread of life?  What obstacles are you willing to overcome in your search for your daily bread?  My little friend, Bella, fought her way through whatever stood in her way in her desire to munch.  Of course, we're not talking about a loaf of yummy, sticky, carb-laden, nutrient lacking, white bread.  We are talking about the bread that brings, not pounds to our hips, but life to our souls.  What steps are you willing to take?  What doors are you willing to go through? 

So this week, I would urge you to not sit back and be content with last week's moldy crusts. No! Go get some fresh bread, go looking for a fresh word from the Lord.  He tells us he would never give his children a stone when they ask for bread.  He is waiting for us to simply ask, no need to fight your way through any screen doors, just ask. 

Meanwhile, I'll be here, watching the rain, in my office, dreaming of the mountains and of a certain four-legged, bread loving, sweet-eyed terrier.  Oh, and I'm also in the market for a sturdy, portable bread box for my planned return trip to the mountains.  I'm just saying, she's cute and all but........

Soaked in His blessings,
Spokenfor

No comments:

Post a Comment