Monday, September 27, 2010

A Couch Full of Mashed Potatoes

I was going to write about procrastination, but I decided to do that later.

You wanna hear something slightly disturbing??? It's less than 3 months till Christmas! I have friends ( I use the word loosely as they make me look really bad!) who have already started their shopping. Every year I say I'm going to get started early, but I never do. My kids always end up with the hottest toy........... from last year! It's usually just about the only thing left by the time I get around to shopping the day before Christmas eve. This year, I decided to do things differently. So far, that is what I have done; decided to do things differently, not actually done anything differently.

On another note, I need some feedback, some advise, some borrowed wisdom, if you will. I have once again decided to enter the world of painting. Now, before you go envisioning canvases everywhere covered in amazing pieces of artwork worthy of any museum, let me clarify. I mean my dinning room. Gone are the days when I could have jumped in, cleaned and painted the room and had it all put back together in a morning. I'm old now, these things take time. Because it's a project that will, in all honesty, probably take the better part of a week, I want to get the color right the first time. Once I get color on the walls it's gonna stay for a while unless one of you guys wants to come up and repaint it! Should I go earthy with golden browns, tans, or greens, or should I go bold with something like a hunter green or maybe one raspberry wall? Maybe I should go light and airy (kind of like me) and choose a pastel. I'm not sure how my boys would react to the last option. Give me some help here, people! I admit to being a decorating wanna be so I depend on the insight of others to help with these difficult, life altering, mind blowing decisions. What's that? You say I need to get a life?? Tell me about it!

I'm thinking of starting to walk every morning again. I'm thinking about it, I haven't actually done it yet. I have a sister-in-law who just ran a 15K. She's awesome like that. Me? Not so much. She suggested I give running a try, said it would be great for me. I told her if I am running, it's because something is chasing me. I. don't. run. Have you ever heard that saying "it's hard to stop a train"? Well it would sort of apply here. Once you get this much bulk moving at any speed at all, it's no easy feat to stop it! There is another very good reason for this, my life's mantra. It's not because I wouldn't like to feel the freedom of running. I can see it now, I'm running through the woods on a perfect fall day, dressed in the latest running fashions, of course, wind blowing through my long, blonde hair. See me as I float along effortlessly while my little woodland friends, the birds, squirrels, and chipmonks cheer me on. I finish my 10 miles without breaking a sweat and arrive back home to my gorgeous husband meeting me on the back deck with a big glass of water and a light lunch he has prepared of salad greens and fresh fruit while surrounded by my perfect adoring children. Now fast forward into real life. That would be me in the stained sweats and t-shirt, soaking wet, huffing and puffing, after I've been chased by the neighbor's dog and laughed at by the neighborhood children, all while going to the mailbox and back. If I start running, it'll be because I'm running from my kids, or maybe I could start running from responsibility, or commitment. There's all kinds of things I could run from, all while not leaving my couch. I think I will keep with my exercise routine of jumping to conclusions and running my mouth and walking to the kitchen and back.

Today is Monday, start of a new week. Once again, the laundry is piled up, the house is a mess, and I sit here at my laptop happily ignoring it all.

What I really need around here is an adult to take care of the boring, important stuff. Anyone up for the job? I can pay you in unused exercise clothes and equipment.

Send your resume addressed to the couch potato. I'm sure I'll get it.

Soaked in His blessings,
Spokenfor

2 comments:

  1. You make me laugh ... and I'm with you on the running thing - that's why we have her in the family - to keep up our reputation and make folks think we're an energetic bunch. Love her for it!!! But - like you, I'll watch from the shade! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lawd, that was hilarious...

    ReplyDelete