Monday, December 27, 2010

Can you have a white Christmas in heaven??

Christmas is past for another year. It was amazingly snowy, something we are certainly not used to seeing in the south, at least not in the Georgia area where we had landed for a good old fashioned extended family Christmas. It seems, however, there is much more snow up in North Carolina where we currently reside. We had about an inch here in Atlanta, but I've heard tell there is 8-10 inches back in NC. I guess the next time I ask God for a white Christmas I should specify which state I'll be in on that date! lol

It's been good being with family again, but I think I am ready to be back home. There's something about sleeping in your own bed and rambling around your own kitchen that is just plain comforting. It doesn't matter how comfy the guest room is, it's just not home.

Can you imagine how Jesus must have felt upon leaving heaven and coming to earth? I'm sure there were times he was comfortable, in comfortable surroundings, in the company of people he loved, taking in the beauty this world can offer in it's natural surrounding. But I have to think there was still a part of him that missed his home.

I think there should be some of that in us, as well. This is not our home. We are citizens of a heavenly country. We live here, for now, but it shouldn't be our home. There should always be a part of us, somewhere inside, that is aware we have a home elsewhere. There is a saying; "fish and houseguest start to smell after 3 days" so you don't want your guest to get too comfortable. We shouldn't get too comfortable here either. Let us keep our focus on our heavenly home, the other kingdom we owe allegiance to. My hope is to be able to enjoy the beauty that surrounds me, enjoy the comforts this temporary home affords, but to never be completely content here, to always have a part down inside that longs for home.

We are headed back to North Carolina tomorrow. It's a long 8 hour drive closed up in a not quite big enough car with many suitcases, 3 teenagers, a 5 year old and a dog with dragon breath. I don't think I'll have a problem getting too content and comfortable there.

If you see a woman running down the middle of the interstate screaming, drooling, babbling incoherently with her hair on fire, you will know my trip home is not going well. Don't intervene, it could get ugly. Just point me to a quiet, dark place where there is no children, no laundry, and leave me be. Eventually my sanity will return and I'll wander on home.

Soaked in His blessings,
Spokenfor

No comments:

Post a Comment