Saturday, October 23, 2010

How a train left me incomplete

I'm tired, I just am. It matters not that I didn't get out of bed today till noon, only to go back to bed at 2:30 and sleep till 5pm. I was up at 6:30 with the puppy (THAT was not in the brochure). Then took Mumbles to wrestling practice only to be called back an hour later as apparently there were only 3 of us dumb enough to attend a Saturday morning practice. After a quick stop at Dunkin Donuts, a quick run around the yard for the pup, I was back in bed by 10am. So, you see, while there was a lot of sleeping going on today, it was broken sleep and everyone knows that's just not restful. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

This afternoon we headed for the North Carolina State Fair. That's all I've heard about for several weeks now. "Oooo! how wonderful the fair is!!! How glorious the fair is!! Have been to the fair yet? NO?! Well, your life is just not complete. yadda. yadda. yadda." So fearing that my life, would not, in fact, be complete, we headed that direction. Notice I said we headed to the fair, I never said we actually made it to the fair.

About 2 miles from the entrance we hit the traffic. We creeped along, stopping and going, never reaching 5 mph for what seemed like an enternity. We finally reached a point where we could see the fair. We could actually see it! We could smell the funnel cakes and hear the screams from the roller coaster. We had only one intersection to make our way through and we would reach our destination. Then it happened, the lights started flashing, the bells starting ringing and the cross bars over the railroad tracks started to lower. I could not believe a train was coming through! "But, oh, it's not so bad" I thought, "it's a passenger train and it's short!" Then when it had only 3 cars left to clear the intersection it came to a stop. A STOP!! It was 25 minutes later before we made it past that intersection and after a total of over an hour in traffic we had still not reached the entrance. When we did make it that far we found there was no parking within 2 miles! I guess we weren't the only ones with incomplete lives.

We left.

We headed to Red Robin instead.

After a Mai Tai I felt much better.

I'm not feeling incomplete. I'm just hoping that's not just the Mai Tai talking.

Funnel cakeless and tired,
Spokenfor

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should title this "Nightmare Saturday" .... hope you get some rest. :-)

    ReplyDelete