Thursday, December 8, 2011

Spike strips, Christmas trees and perplexed dogs

So, the holidays are in full swing.  We've made it through halloween, eaten ourselves silly over Thanksgiving and now it's time to deck the halls, trim the tree and wear out the credit cards.  I haven't don't much decorating yet.  We do have our tree up, up but not decorated.  It's just kind of standing upright in it's stand in the middle of my seldom used front living room.  At least Charlie has stopped barking at it.  If ever I've seen a look of confusion on the face of a dog it was when Charlie first caught sight of J dragging a tree into the house.  He didn't know whether to bark or lift a leg! lol

I have to admit, the holidays are an emotionally confusing time for me this year.  I lost more than one person who was important to me this year and I'm having a hard time adjusting to celebrating without them.

The first was my Grandmother.  She was 92 years old and I'm sure is more than a little happy to be celebrating with the reason for the season this year, but I still miss her.  It just won't seem quite right to get together with my siblings and her not be there.  I can count on one hand the times we weren't together.

The other is my oldest cousin, Becky.  We lost her many years too soon in a tragic accident.  She was our family organizer.  We didn't always get together as an extended family anymore, but when we did it was because she organized it and badgered us all into being there.  We were always so glad that she did when all was said and done.  I didn't see her very often, but did talk to her on facebook on a regular basis.  I will miss her infectious smile and contagious laugh.

I guess you could say I am spending some time looking backwards this year.  It's something I try to not to do very often.  I have found I'm not coordinated enough to walk forwards and look backwards!  I usually end up walking into walls!  

Looking backwards is not always a bad thing, sometimes it's a good thing to remember where the Lord has brought us from.  Going backwards is a different story.  I was reminded of this during a recent trip to the airport.  We had to return a rental car and came across the dreaded tire strips.  We've all seen them.  The have these vicious spikes in them that face the same direction we are traveling.  As long as you continue going forward you will be fine.  Your tires will roll right over the spikes with no problem at all, but try to back up and every tire on your car will be blow.  You'll be going no where fast.  The Lord showed me this can be how it is when we try to head back into our past into a place He is not taking us.  I will be the first to admit there are times when the Lord takes us back into a place from our past in order to bring about some healing.  That's not what I'm talking about.  Once God has moved us on from an event, to return, even for a visit, is dangerous.  It's so easy for the enemy to trap us there, and just like the car with the blown tires, we are going no where fast.  Our forward momentum has been stalled.

The Lord doesn't intend for us to go backwards. The Children of Israel followed a pillar of fire by night.  If they turned around and that fire was behind them, they were standing in their own shadow.  It's kind of hard to walk at night when you're standing in shadows.

So today my goal is for my focus to be of the forward kind.  Sometimes I think I'm covered in a spiritual hospital gown; if I turn around there are things exposed that no one wants to see!  Really! Take my word for it! lol

Here's to facing the front!  I'll still look  back some and remember, but that's as far as it goes. I've learned the hard way not to go for a visit.  God is good and He leads us on to bigger and better things. 

Haggai 2:9 ‘The glory of this latter temple shall be greater than the former,’ says the LORD of hosts. ‘And in this place I will give peace,’ says the LORD of hosts.”


So it would seem to me it would be one of the secrets to peace.  He gives his peace, not in the former things, but in the latter. 

I've got my marching orders and they are facing front.  You know where to find me, come by any time.  I'll be here making my lists, checking them twice, and trying to get Charlie to help me decorate this tree!

Soaked in His blessings,
Spokenfor.  

1 comment:

  1. You are so right dear -- thanks for the reminder. And, yes, I miss her too. . . so very much.

    ReplyDelete